Community Action Agencies (CAAs) are nonprofit private and public organizations established under the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 to fight America's War on Poverty. Community Action Agencies help people to help themselves in achieving self-sufficiency. Today there are approximately 1000 Community Action Agencies, serving the poor in every state as well as Puerto Rico and the Trust Territories.
Since 1965, EOF has mobilized necessary resources to address the causes and conditions of poverty in Wyandotte County to assist low-income residents to move toward self-sufficiency. Partnering with 45 local agencies, including local churches, United Way and the Duchesne Clinic, EOF brings many needed anti-poverty services to Wyandotte County, including:
- Emergency Assistance helping families obtain needed supports such as utility and rent assistance, and mortgage default counseling, to address emergency situations;
- Employment Services working with unemployed residents on job preparation and placement assistance;
- Case Management Services working with low-income families on self-sufficiency and goal achievement; and
- Senior Commodity Distribution providing food assistance to low-income elderly and disabled individuals.
- Housing Services working with unermeployed/low-income residents who are either Homeless, Needing Housing, Needing Housing Assistance with rent/mortage assistance or needing help with the everyday needs regarding their housing situation
HOUSING / EMERGENCY SERVICES
The Social Services Program is responsible for the operation of outreach to the community of Wyandotte County, Kansas and its low-income population. The Community Action Center serve as a central point in the community to seek out resources for emergency services.
EMPLOYMENT SERVICES PROGRAM
Training for ways to seek and obtain jobs, as well as receive and maintain them.
Contact the Employment Services Program at (913) 371-7800 and schedule an appointment to learn of program requirements and potential jobs!